The Top 5 Things To Do Before Purchasing A Home
- Talk to a lender for a pre-approval. In today's crazy market, it is more important than ever to have a pre-approval before you start looking for a home. This is so that you will be able to know how much home you can afford, but it will also show a seller that you are serious.
- Know what you want in a home. It is a good idea to be on the same page as your partner (if there is one) as to what you are looking for in a home. The inventory is limited so you may not be able to get everything you are looking for in a home. Know which items are negotiable and which ones you can not live without.
- If searching on your own, use correct app/site. We understand that buyers are looking for their home on the internet without the Realtor's help, and that's okay. There are a ton of different sites out there that say they are able to help you search for your home. Some of them such as Trulia and Zillow are not the best used apps because they don't have the most updated information. You may have seen that if you found a house you really like and inquire about it that it is no longer available. The best app / site to use is Realtor.com because it is directly fed from the MLS system that we agents use. This allows the most up-to-date listings as well as taking off the ones that are no longer available.
- Trust your agent's advice. Believe it or not, we know what we are talking about lol. Realtors take an oath and have to uphold what is best for our clients. We don't worry about our commission which is a misconception. We really try to find exactly what you are looking for at the lowest price, in the best condition, in the shortest time frame. And that brings us to number 5.
- Be realistic. As I stated before, we are under limited inventory and we are not able to get everything that you are asking for. We are also here to guide you on the price and will figure in when a closing cost is needed. We absolutely HATE to send over a lowball offer and ask for closing costs as well. It makes us look silly and it makes the seller not consider your offer seriously. So when we try to guide you through the process and let you know where we feel you should be, please understand that we are doing all of this to help you get the home of your dreams!
If you're curious if now is the right time to purchase a home or would just like to ask questions to a knowledgeable team, contact us and we will do everything within our power to help you!